The Growasis Elevated System Features
No Cutting or Drilling Required! – Our complete framing system includes pre-cut lengths of galvanized metal pipe and all the connector fittings required to assemble the trough. Pipes simply slide into the fittings and tighten with the supplied hex wrench. A pre-cut 1/2″ plywood end wall assembly comes with each frame to provide a back board for mounting bulkhead fittings.
No Exposed Sharp Metal Edges! – The Growasis line of DWC troughs has no sharp metal edges anywhere which is not the case with other DWC systems on the market. If you have ever worked in an aquaponic or hydroponic farm, you know that you’re walking alongside these troughs frequently. Cutting your leg on exposed metal framing is easy to do, very painful, and creates a serious food safety risk. Our troughs are smooth all the way around and easy to wipe down and clean.
Powder Coated Pipes and Connectors – Any pipes or fittings that are visible or touch the ground, are powder coated white for a high quality appearance and rust protection.
Duraskrim 20mm Liner – Liner is cut in our production facility to fit the length and width of your trough. We provide some excess length which should be carefully trimmed following the installation procedures once the system is fully assembled.
PVC Liner clips (4′) – Liner clips are provided to correspond to the length and width of your troughs. Liner clips snap down and secure the liner to the top rail. Liner clips provide a smooth round finish and are easily cleanable.
Lengths can exceed 100′ as needed
*assumes 28 hole 2′ x 4′ Beaver Raft Boards.
** assumes a 4 week transplant to harvest cycle. Results can vary based on lighting, nutrients, temperature and management.
Beaver Floating Lettuce Raft Boards – Beaver boards are food grade rafts designed specifically for aquaponic and hydroponic lettuce production. Boards are 1″ thick and 2′ x 4′ and come pre-drilled with 28 tapered holes. Since many people like to add a few additional boards or receive quantity price breaks, the boards can be purchased separately on the Raft Boards Product Page
Optional Light Rack – Our 4′ wide elevated troughs can include a heavy duty lighting mount for overhead stationary or track lighting systems. The light rack is made from the same powder coated metal and fittings as the base frame. Contact us for optimal lighting and light mover systems to best fit your system, crops and location.
Plumbing and Aeration Kit – Plumbing and aeration kits are specifically designed based upon the system dimensions you choose. If you are adapting to an existing system please feel free to contact us to discuss your plumbing requirements. Our standard kits include the following:
- Heavy duty EPDM bulkhead fittings for all plumbing and airline connections. All plumbing connections secure through the end wall panel at one end of the trough. This allows for a cleaner installation by organizing all of the air and water supply and return plumbing in one location.
- A swing check valve assembly connects to your incoming water pump supply to prevent backflow through your pump in the event of a power outage.
- Distribution piping inside the trough carries water to the opposite end of the trough and directs it back towards the outlet.
- A 2″ drain assembly removes water from inside the trough to a 2″ Fernco Tee on the floor. The fernco tee allows for a simple connection to a 2″ pipe to return water to your own nutrient reservoir or sump. Depending on the location of your nutrient reservoir or sump, you will have to provide the necessary lengths of supply and return pipe.
- A valve controlled clean-out assembly allows you to connect a standard garden hose to the end of the line should you need to flush the pipes.
The Aeration Kit includes the following components:
- An Alita ultra quiet linear air pump sized to provide the proper CFM and PSI for the number of air diffusers in your trough. The air pump includes a pressure release valve.
- Air Diffusers are included and placed approximately every 4 ft along each side of the trough length.
- Matala weighted air distribution tubing that stays down at the bottom of the trough. The air distribution is arranged in a ring configuration for uniform air pressure throughout the trough. Depending on the size of the application we may recommend a larger air pump or a centralized aeration system. Contact us to tell us more about your project and we can provide the best fit solution.
Items Not Included in Your Purchase
Elevated and Double Decker Growasis systems require 3/4″ thick plywood and/or foam insulation panels. These items are not practical and affordable to ship.
In the case of Growasis Elevated or Double Decker systems, you will need to pick up one or more 3/4″ x 4′ x 8′ sheets of OSB plywood for the liner support. Only use OSB plywood at the recommended thickness to prevent sagging and potential breakage due to the water weight. We will indicate the number of plywood boards you need based on your system dimensions. Should you require insulation panels for your trough use only 1″ x 4′ x 8′ standard foam board insulation.
We do not include a water pump or sump tank as part of the standard plumbing package. The proper pump sizing will be dependent on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need to purchase a pump and sump for your Growasis system.