The Growasis Double Decker System
No Cutting or Drilling Required! – Our complete framing system includes pre-cut lengths of galvanized metal pipe and all the connector fittings required to assemble the trough based upon the dimensions you choose. Pipes simply slide into the fittings and the fittings tighten with the supplied hex wrench. A pre-cut 1/2″ plywood end wall assembly comes with each frame to provide a back board for mounting bulkhead fittings. The base level system does not include any bulkhead or plumbing fittings as some people may want to plumb their own recirculating system using their own parts. For that reason we offer the plumbing and aeration kit as an optional component.
Powder Coated Pipes and Connectors – Any pipes or fittings that are visible such as the legs, are powder coated white for a high quality appearance and rust protection.
Duraskrim 20mm Liner – Liner is cut in our production facility to fit the length and width of your trough. We provide some excess liner on the length which should be carefully trimmed with a utility knife following the installation procedures once the system is fully assembled.
PVC Liner clips (4′) – Liner clips are provided to correspond to the length and width of your troughs. Liner clips snap down and secure the liner to the top rail. Liner clips provide a smooth round finish and are easily cleanable.
Beaver Floating Raft Boards – Beaver boards are food grade growing rafts designed specifically for aquaponic and hydroponic lettuce production. Boards are 1″ thick and 2′w x 4′l and come pre-drilled with 28 tapered holes. When you input your system dimensions you will see the number of Beaver Raft boards required to cover the entire trough. Since many people like to add a few additional boards or receive quantity price breaks, the boards are purchased separately on the Raft Boards Product Page.
Optional Light Rack – Our 4′ wide elevated troughs can include a heavy duty lighting mount for overhead stationary or track lighting systems. The light rack is made from the same powder coated metal and fittings as the base frame. Contact us for optimal lighting and light mover systems to best fit your system, crops and location.
LED Grow Lighting – Growasis Double-Decker systems can be outfitted with LED grow lighting for the bottom tier to create an optimal growing condition for your plants. We use Thrive Agritech’s Infinity 2.0 full spectrum LED grow lights, an efficient, powerful, and waterproof fixture. These modular 65 watt LED strips are configured to provide perfect light intensity and uniformity, while producing a white light to the human eye that is comfortable and easy to work around. Depending on your location, energy rebates may be available to discount the cost of the lighting system.
Plumbing and Aeration Kit – Plumbing and aeration kits are specifically designed based upon the system dimensions you choose. If you are adapting to an existing system please feel free to contact us to discuss your plumbing requirements. Our standard kits include the following:
- Heavy duty EPDM bulkhead fittings for all plumbing and airline connections. All plumbing connections secure through the end wall panel at one end of the trough. This allows for a cleaner installation by organizing all of the air and water supply and return plumbing in one location.
- A swing check valve assembly connects to your incoming water pump supply to prevent backflow through your pump in the event of a power outage.
- Distribution piping inside the trough carries water to the opposite end of the trough and directs it back towards the outlet.
- A 2″ drain assembly removes water from inside the trough to a 2″ Fernco Tee on the floor. The fernco tee allows for a simple connection to a 2″ pipe to return water to your own nutrient reservoir or sump. Depending on the location of your nutrient reservoir or sump, you will have to provide the necessary lengths of supply and return pipe.
- A valve controlled clean-out assembly allows you to connect a standard garden hose to the end of the line should you need to flush the pipes.
The Aeration Kit includes the following components:
- An Alita ultra quiet linear air pump sized to provide the proper CFM and PSI for the number of air diffusers in your trough. The air pump includes a pressure release valve.
- Air Diffusers are included and placed approximately 1 every 4 ft along each side of the trough length.
- Matala weighted air distribution tubing that stays down at the bottom of the trough. The air distribution is arranged in a ring configuration for uniform air pressure through the trough. Depending on the size of the application we may recommend a larger air distribution or a centralized aeration system. Contact us to tell us more about your project and we can provide the best fit solution.
Items Not Included in Your Purchase
Some Growasis systems require 3/4″ thick plywood and/or foam insulation panels. These items are not practical and affordable to ship.
In the case of Growasis Elevated or Double Decker systems, you will need to pick up one or more 3/4″ x 4′ x 8′ sheets of OSB plywood for the liner support. Only use OSB plywood at the recommended thickness or greater to prevent sagging and potential breakage due to the water weight. The number of 4×8′ boards you need will be indicated by the dimensions you input into the design calculator on each Growasis product page.
Should you require insulation panels for your trough use only 1″ x 4′ x 8′ standard foam board insulation.
We do not include a water pump or sump tank as part of the standard plumbing package. The proper pump sizing will be dependent on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need to purchase a pump for your Growasis system and we will be able to assist you in properly sizing the pump. In general we recommend a flow rate that can circulate the total water volume of your plant system approximately once every 3 to 4 hours. Important note: recirculation for your fish tanks should happen at a rate closer to one full tank exchange every 30 to 60 minutes.