The Aquaponic Source is the #1 source for school aquaponics. We provide everything from turnkey aquaponic systems suitable for any size classroom or school garden to educational materials to a full range of proven & tested aquaponics supplies.
“I can’t thank you and your team enough for making the Riverbend project a success. I gave a tour of the system to a group of adults who were at Riverbend for a farm to table dinner, last week and the reaction was exactly what we wanted. One of the exciting comments for me was how clean and professional the system looked. It turned out extremely well!”
Aquaponics in Education
AquaBundance SpaceSaver – Aquaponics in a New York City elementary school
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
“Teach the children to grow plants with fish and you will feed the world”
The Aquaponic Source
School aquaponics is an extraordinary tool for educators. Aquaponic gardens bring science and ecology to life by showing a living, breathing example of what can happen when people work with nature to grow their food.
Here is a partial list of some of the lessons that can be taught through school aquaponic gardening:
- Biology – What role does nitrifying bacteria play in aquaponics? Where does it come from?
- Physics – How does water move throughout the system? What light spectrums grow plants best?
- Chemistry – What happens to the uptake of iron in plants if pH gets too high? How is oxygen in the water affected by temperature?
- Horticulture – What does a plant need in order to grow properly?
- Zoology – What do fish need in order to grow properly?
- Ecology – What happens if a eco-system becomes out of balance? What role do composting red worms play in aquaponics?
- Nutrition – What is the difference between freshly picked food you grew yourself and food from the grocery store?
Resources for Educators
Here are just some of the school aquaponic products offered by The Aquaponic Source that you may want to consider adding to your teaching environment.
- AquaUrban SpaceSaver Aquaponic Gardening System – This compact aquaponic gardening system is perfect for the classroom. It comes with everything you need to get started growing, and its sturdy construction insures many years of year-round gardening education.
- Curriculum – We offer curriculum sets for both school and home schooling environments
- Videos – We offer several videos, including a course on aquaponics being taught at the Denver Botanic Gardens. A perfect teaching tool!
Grants for Plants
Grants for Plants is a foundation, administered by The Aquaponic Source, that supports teachers who wish to bring school aquaponics to their students as a teaching tool and healthy, sustainable food source.
Some of the schools we have worked with…
- Eagle’s Nest Elementary in New Mexico
- Canton Central High School
- Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy, Cincinnati, OH (use the Aquaponic Gardening book as a text)
We know that educational budgets are tight these days, and we’d like to help out. If you are a school or a 501(c)(3) organization involved with children please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our Educational Discount program for school aquaponics.