Basics & Build
Get inspired to grow your own food by building your own aquaponic system
Who is this Class For?
Basics & Build is geared toward people who are new to aquaponics and might want to build their own aquaponic system but don't know where to begin
You can spend endless hours watching YouTube videos to piece together your aquaponics system...
And discover many flaws in your system that don't lead to the kind of results you expected.
Perhaps you are the one who wants to give up and assume aquaponics isn't for you.
Instead, invest in proper education in this full day of high-quality, focused education from aquaponic farmers and experts, JD and Tawnya Sawyer.
You will be equipped for food growing success and you certainly won't regret it.
What You Will Learn
We will provide in-depth coverage of the system components and activities necessary to start building an aquaponics system, successfully cycle it and optimize growing
- Benefits of Aquaponics
- Fish and Plant selection and health
- System cycling, bacteria and the nitrification cycle
- System Design Ratios
- Different system designs: flood and drain, deep water culture, and vertical systems
- Growbed styles, media, pumps, aerators, plumbing fittings and all other components
- Planning your location
- System management and optimization
2017 Course Dates
The course will be held at the GrowHaus in beautiful Denver, Colorado
4751 York St | Denver, CO
Participants will also be able to tour Flourish Farm, a 3,200 sf aquaponics farm, and see one of the longest running and highly productive urban aquaponic farms in the United States!
Make it a mini Colorado vacation, there is so much to see and do!
- Stroll through Downtown - Denver’s downtown blends both a Wild West and urban chic vibe. Hit up the 16th Street Mall to browse decades-old bookshops like Tattered Cover and buy cowboy apparel at Rockmount Ranch Wear.
- Hike around Red Rocks - These gorgeous red rocks jutting from the earth have been graced by thousands of musicians from the Beatles to The Grateful Dead to Depeche Mode. You name it, they've been there or desperately want to.
- Browse the Denver Botanic Gardens - Whether you’re a nature lover or just like to escape the concrete jungle without leaving city limits, the Gardens are a must-visit.
- Indulge your inner foodie at The Source - A 26,000-square-foot, 19th-century warehouse on Brighton Boulevard which was converted to a brand-new marketplace in 2013. The Source features a handful of local brewers, bakers, butchers, specialty grocers and craftsmen all under one roof, and is well on its way to becoming the city’s hottest destination for foodies.
- Gear up for a game at Coors Field - Watch the Colorado Rockies hit home runs at Coors Field—the park with the highest elevation in Major League Baseball.
Directions, Travel, Parking and Other Class Information
2.1 miles from the GrowHaus
Address: 3500 Park Ave West,
3.9 miles from GeoTech
Address: 4040 Quebec St Denver
Rates starting at $109/night
Quality Inn Denver Central
2.6 miles from the Geotech
Address: 200 West 48th Ave Denver, CO 80216
Rates starting at $95/night
Cancellation Policy - Cancellations will receive a full refund up to two weeks before class. Less than two weeks before class the refund will be 50%. Less than 48 hours before class there are no refunds. We reserve the right to cancel class if enrollments are low. If you are flying in, please consider purchasing a refundable ticket.
"What you are living is a beautiful vision I have had for about 2 years. Loved this experience, you are living the dream."
"This workshop was wonderful!"
"Tawnya and JD are excellent teachers - the whole day was wonderful."