The Growasis Ground System Features
No Cutting or Drilling Required – Our complete framing system includes pre-cut lengths of galvanized metal pipe and all the connector fittings required to assemble the trough. Pipes simply slide into the fittings and tighten with the supplied hex wrench. A pre-cut 1/2″ plywood end wall assembly comes with each frame to provide a back board for mounting bulkhead fittings.
No Exposed Sharp Metal Edges! – The Growasis line of DWC troughs has no sharp metal edges anywhere which is not the case with other DWC systems on the market. If you have ever worked in an aquaponic or hydroponic farm, you know that you’re walking alongside these troughs frequently. Cutting your leg on exposed metal framing is easy to do, very painful, and creates a serious food safety risk. Our troughs are smooth all the way around and easy to wipe down and clean.
Powder Coated Connectors -Any pipes or fittings that are visible or touch the ground, are powder coated white for a high quality appearance and rust protection.
Duraskrim 20mm Liner – Liner is cut in our production facility to fit the length and width of your trough. We provide some excess length which should be carefully trimmed following the installation procedures once the system is fully assembled.
PVC Liner clips (4′) – Liner clips are provided to correspond to the length and width of your troughs. Liner clips snap down and secure the liner to the top rail. Liner clips provide a smooth round finish and are easily cleanable.
Lengths can exceed 100′ as needed
*assumes 28 hole 2′ x 4′ Beaver Raft Boards.
** assumes a 4 week transplant to harvest cycle. Results can vary based on lighting, nutrients, temperature and management.
Beaver Floating Lettuce Raft Boards – Beaver boards are food grade rafts designed specifically for aquaponic and hydroponic lettuce production. Boards are 1″ thick and 2′ x 4′ and come pre-drilled with 28 tapered holes. Since many people like to add a few additional boards or receive quantity price breaks, the boards can be purchased separately on the Raft Boards Product Page.
Plumbing and Aeration Kit – Plumbing and aeration kits are specifically designed based upon the system dimensions you choose. If you are adapting to an existing system please feel free to contact us to discuss your plumbing requirements. Our standard kits include the following:
- Heavy duty EPDM bulkhead fittings for all plumbing and airline connections. All plumbing connections secure through the end wall panel at one end of the trough. This allows for a cleaner installation by organizing all of the air and water supply and return plumbing in one location.
- A swing check valve assembly connects to your incoming water pump supply to prevent backflow through your pump in the event of a power outage.
- Distribution piping inside the trough carries water to the opposite end of the trough and directs it back towards the outlet.
- A 2″ drain assembly removes water from inside the trough to a 2″ Fernco Tee on the floor. The fernco tee allows for a simple connection to a 2″ pipe to return water to your own nutrient reservoir or sump. Depending on the location of your nutrient reservoir or sump, you will have to provide the necessary lengths of supply and return pipe.
- A valve controlled clean-out assembly allows you to connect a standard garden hose to the end of the line should you need to flush the pipes.
The Aeration Kit includes the following components:
- An Alita ultra quiet linear air pump sized to provide the proper CFM and PSI for the number of air diffusers in your trough. The air pump includes a pressure release valve.
- Air Diffusers are included and placed approximately every 4 ft along each side of the trough length.
- Matala weighted air distribution tubing that stays down at the bottom of the trough. The air distribution is arranged in a ring configuration for uniform air pressure throughout the trough. Depending on the size of the application we may recommend a larger air pump or a centralized aeration system. Contact us to tell us more about your project and we can provide the best fit solution.
Items Not Included in Your Purchase
Insulation Panels – We often recommend adding 1″ thick x 4’x 8′ rigid foam board insulation panels underneath the Growasis Ground System Rafts. The insulation layer keeps the liner off the floor and helps to prevent heat loss into the ground. The frame is designed so 4×8 sheets of foam board can easily lay in between the cross member supports every 8′. Hydronic heat loops can also be added above the insulation layer and under the liner allowing you to heat the troughs from below. You can also add 1″ foam board panels and cut to fit them along the side walls for additional insulation. Insulation panels should be purchased locally and are not included in the base package as they are impractical to ship.
We do not include a water pump or sump tank as part of the standard plumbing package. The proper pump sizing will be dependent on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need to purchase a pump and sump for your Growasis system.