The Growasis Base System
No Cutting or Drilling Required – Our complete framing system includes pre-cut lengths of galvanized metal pipe and all the connector fittings required to assemble the trough based upon the dimensions you choose. Pipes simply slide into the fittings and the fittings tighten with the supplied hex wrench. A pre-cut 1/2″ plywood end wall assembly comes with each frame to provide a back board for mounting bulkhead fittings. The base level system does not include any bulkhead or plumbing fittings as some people may want to plumb their own recirculating system using their own parts. For that reason we offer the plumbing and aeration kit as an optional component.
Powder Coated Connectors – Any fittings that are visible or are in direct contact with the ground are powder coated white for a high quality appearance and rust protection.
Duraskrim 20mm Liner – Liner is cut in our production facility to fit the length and width of your trough. We provide some excess liner on the length which should be carefully trimmed with a utility knife following the installation procedures.
PVC Liner clips (4′) – Liner clips are provided to correspond to the length and width of your troughs. Liner clips snap down and secure the liner to the top rail. Liner clips provide a smooth round finish and are easily cleanable.
Beaver Floating Lettuce Raft Boards – Beaver boards are food grade growing rafts designed specifically for aquaponic and hydroponic lettuce production. Boards are 1″ thick and 2′w x 4′l and come pre-drilled with 28 tapered holes. When you input your system dimensions you will see the number of Beaver Raft boards required to cover the entire trough. Since many people like to add a few additional boards or receive quantity price breaks, the boards are sold separately on the Raft Boards Product Page. We do not recommend using foam insulation board for your food production system.
Plumbing and Aeration Kit – Plumbing and aeration kits are specifically designed based upon the system dimensions you choose. If you are adapting to an existing system please feel free to contact us to discuss your plumbing requirements. Our standard kits include the following:
- Heavy duty EPDM bulkhead fittings for all plumbing and airline connections. All plumbing connections secure through the end wall panel at one end of the trough. This allows for a cleaner installation by organizing all of the air and water supply and return plumbing in one location.
- A swing check valve assembly connects to your incoming water pump supply to prevent backflow through your pump in the event of a power outage.
- Distribution piping inside the trough carries water to the opposite end of the trough and directs it back towards the outlet.
- A 2″ drain assembly removes water from inside the trough to a 2″ Fernco Tee on the floor. The fernco tee allows for a simple connection to a 2″ pipe to return water to your own nutrient reservoir or sump. Depending on the location of your nutrient reservoir or sump, you will have to provide the necessary lengths of supply and return pipe.
- A valve controlled clean-out assembly allows you to connect a standard garden hose to the end of the line should you need to flush the pipes.
The Aeration Kit includes the following components:
- An Alita ultra quiet linear air pump sized to provide the proper CFM and PSI for the number of air diffusers in your trough. The air pump includes a pressure release valve.
- Air Diffusers are included and placed approximately 1 every 4 ft along each side of the trough length.
- Matala weighted air distribution tubing that stays down at the bottom of the trough. The air distribution is arranged in a ring configuration for uniform air pressure through the trough. Depending on the size of the application we may recommend a larger air distribution or a centralized aeration system. Contact us to tell us more about your project and we can provide the best fit solution.
Items Not Included in Your Purchase
Insulation Panels – We often recommend adding 1″ thick x 4’x 8′ rigid foam board insulation panels underneath the Growasis Ground System Rafts. The insulation layer keeps the liner off the floor and helps to prevent heat loss into the ground or floor. The frame is designed so 4×8 sheets of foam board can easily lay in between the cross member supports every 8′. Hydronic heat loops can also be added above the insulation layer and under the liner allowing you to heat the troughs from below. You can also add 1″ foam board panels and cut to fit them along the side walls for additional insulation. Insulation panels should be purchased locally and are not included in the base package as they are impractical to ship.
We do not include a water pump or sump tank as part of the standard plumbing package. The proper pump sizing will be dependent on a number of factors. Please contact us if you need to purchase a pump for your Growasis system and we will be able to assist you in properly sizing the pump. In general we recommend a flow rate that can circulate the total water volume of your plant system approximately once every 3 to 4 hours. Important note: recirculation for your fish tanks should happen at a rate closer to one full tank exchange every 30 to 60 minutes.