The AquaBundance Modular System is a complete home food production system that allows you to raise your own fish along with a wide variety of vegetables, greens and herbs in a natural and biologically active eco-system.
How the System Works
Nutrient rich water flows from the 200 gallon fish tank to the Spiral Flow Filter. The filter collects the heaviest solids fish waste at the bottom of the cone for easy discharge into a 5 gallon bucket. Clarified water flows through to the scrub filter for additional solids capture and biological filtration before dropping into the sump below. A submersible pump at the bottom of the sump pumps water back to the fish tank and to all grow beds simultaneously. The fish tank and each grow bed has it’s own independent flow control. A central air pump provides aeration and oxygen delivery to the fish and plant system.
4 Bed Aquabundance Illustration with 2 media beds and 2 DWC beds
- Waist High Gardening – Plants, fish tanks and filters are at a comfortable working height. No bending, weeding or tilling!
- Media and Deep Water Culture Growing – The AquaBundance series allows you to combine soil-less media and deep water culture growing beds in the same system allowing for diverse crop production, optimal planting densities, and the ability to experiment with different growing methods. The Media Beds are ideal for growing fruiting plants (such as tomatoes and peppers), fruit trees, most greens as well as plants that prefer a drier environment (such as thyme and rosemary). Deep water culture beds are excellent for leafy greens, lettuce and herbs.
- No Cutting, Priming or Gluing – Most plumbing components are pre-manufactured in our shop. Plumbing connections are made with Quik-lock fittings or Fernco adapters when assembling the system. The plumbing literally snaps together
- Heavy Duty Powder Coated Frame – Provides a professional finish and rust protection. Frames come in black by default, but a wide variety of custom powder coating colors are available for a small setup fee. See our resources section to download a color card.
- Modular Design and Simple Assembly– The modular frame allows you to create a system to best fit your space. The frame can also be configured in an L-Shape or you can add on a Growasis Elevated Modular Raft System. Frames arrive pre-manufactured and ready to assemble with the supplied hex key.
- Components fit through standard door widths – The largest item in the system is the fish tank. Whether you stay with the standard 200 gallon tank or upgrade to the 300 gallon, each tank is only 33″ high and can roll on its side through most standard door widths.
- The Lighting and Trellis Rack matches the base frame and can hang artificial lights and allows for a place to tie off vining crops such as Tomatoes.
- Custom Paneling Options Available – Wood finish or dry erase board panels (great for schools or keeping notes on) can be added to the frame to provide a beautiful finish to the outside of your grow beds. Please contact us if you would like a custom paneling quote.
- Solids and Biological Filtration – The cone shaped spiral flow filter captures solids a the bottom of the cone with a swivel mount valve for easy evacuation into a 5 gallon bucket. A secondary scrub filter before the sump provides another layer of solids and biological filtration.
- Optional Fish Tank Window Kit – see recommended products at the bottom of the page. The window kit does not come pre-installed due to potential for cracking during shipping.
- Priority Support – We want you to be successful. Our home and farm system customers are our top priority and we will help answer your questions as fast and as reliably as we can.
- Water Conservation – Aquaponic systems recirculate water continuously and require far less water per plant than soil based agriculture. Water does not need to be fully flushed or even partially from the system as is the case with hydroponics. Only small amounts of water usually less than a gallon every few days are discharged from the solids filter. This solids discharge can be further broken down in a separate aerobic mineralization tank. Read more about aerobic mineralization in our Flourish Farm page.
- Continuous Food Production for your family, neighbors, school or business. The system is designed to produce fish and plants continuously year round under assuming the proper environmental conditions for plant production. To learn more about properly cycling and operating an aquaponic system check out our books videos and classes.
- A Natural Eco-System – Aquaponics is inherently an organic system relying on natural bacterial processes to convert ammonia from fish waste to nitrates which beneficial for the plants. No harmful pesticides, fertilizers or other chemicals that are common in traditional agriculture and in some hydroponic system can be used. If it’s not safe for naturally occurring bacteria or fish then it’s not safe for you.
- Tremendous Growth and Yields – In a healthy aquaponic system, plants grow very robustly and fast as a result of consistent nutrient absorption, optimal water quality, temperature, light and pH among other factors. Your plants, fish and environment requires attention to function properly. Not all systems will perform alike due to differences in environmental conditions, management techniques and water quality.
- Fish Friendly – Fish are stocked at low to moderate densities in order to provide them plenty of space and good water quality (Usually 1 adult fish to every 5 to 7 gallons of water). There is no need to overstock fish. Overstocked fish tanks create poor water quality, excessive solid waste and aggressive behaviors. Fish eat and perform their best when they are not stressed and overcrowded.
What’s Included with your system
Fish Tank and Filtration System
- A 200 gallon UV protected forest green tank comes standard (A 300 gallon optional upgrade is available)
- A 15 gallon Spiral Flow Filter for solids filtration with a swivel mount bottom center drain.
- A secondary scrub filter with matala filtration mats
- The 30 gallon sump tank is forest green, PE plastic, food-safe and UV protected.
Media Beds & Deep Water Culture Beds
- Grow beds are 40″ x 40″ x 12″deep and come pre-drilled to accept the bulkhead fittings for the supply and return plumbing components.
- Expanded clay pebble media is included with all systems based upon the number of media beds you choose.
- The Deep Water Beds use the same size grow beds and come with custom fit Beaver Raft Boards.
- The powder coated modular framing system manufactured to hold the total number of media and DWC grow beds you choose
- Media guards, independent flow controls and standpipes for each grow bed are included.
All Plumbing Components
- The system includes all the bulkheads, uniseals, PVC pipe, flexible tubing and plumbing fittings you will need for your system.
- The system comes with a magnetic drive submersible pump. The pump size is determined by the number of grow beds you choose
- Air pump, tubing and diffusers
Startup and Management Supplies
- API Master Test Kit
- AquaStart – Startup Cycling Kit with instructions to establish your bacterial colony
- AquaUp pH Buffer and AquaDown Phosphoric acid
- Aquaponic Gardening Online Course Code
- System Assembly Instructions
What’s Not Included
We do not supply fish fingerlings. We recommend that you contact a local fish hatchery or supplier. Each state has different regulations regarding permissible species so it is often best to visit your state’s department of wildlife or agriculture to get a listing of suppliers in your area. Once your system is fully cycled and at the proper water temperature you can safely introduce them. For more information on cycling and fish please visit our FAQs page.
Seeds or starter plants should be purchased locally or from a reputable supplier such as Johnny’s seeds. If you purchase starter plants in soil, please gently rinse all of the soil off of the roots with luke warm water before transplanting into the system.
We know there’s a lot of information to digest here. Please contact us directly to discuss your project and we will help find a system that will best fit your goals and objectives.